Most of us have days when we are overloaded, bored or feel unappreciated; when the 47 balls we are juggling aren’t noticed, never mind rewarded. Some days hauling yourself out of bed requires the determination of a salmon swimming up stream during mating season. If you feel like this most of the time you may be flirting with burnout.
Burnout is a state of emotional depletion and cynicism resulting from excessive and prolonged stress. When you feel overwhelmed and unable to meet constant demands, you lose your motivation to continue a certain role. You are simply beyond caring and don’t see any possibility of positive change. You may not even notice you are burnt out, unlike being you are under a lot of stress, when you still feel there is hope to get beyond the “too much”. Burn out can originate from home or work and regardless of the origin this state will invade the other parts of your life.
9 tips for avoiding burnout:
- Follow a personal wellness program
- Have a support system
- Know yourself and your signs of burnout
- Set and maintain healthy boundaries
- Practice daily habits that bring you pleasure
- Take time off- ok this one is a repeat, but it is worth repeating
- Stay stimulated with learning
- Nourish your creative side
Signs of burnout can be physical, behavioral or emotional and often include:
- Frustration, anger, anxiety
- Difficulty making a decision
- Withdrawing from others and responsibilities
- Fatigue, feeling tired even after sleeping
- Health signs such as hives, headaches or feeling run down
- Dreading an event
- Apathy/ not caring
- Taking your frustrations out on others
- Using drugs or alcohol to cope
If you see the signs of burn out in yourself, it is time to step back and begin to restore your self and well being. Now. Without delay. You can prevent things from getting worse and a free fall into complete breakdown.